Savannah Car Accident Attorneys – 912.335.4977
When you are struck by an uninsured or underinsured motorist in Georgia, you will be confronted with a car accident case that is more complicated than the usual. Since Georgia is not a no-fault state, you will not be guaranteed any sort of recovery through your insurance company. Instead, you may need to pursue compensation on your own.
Determining who can or should pay for your medical bills, repair costs, lost wages, and other expenses related to your car accident is difficult when the liable party’s insurance is lacking or nonexistent. Our Savannah personal injury lawyers at Karsman, McKenzie & Hart can help eliminate the guesswork. We have won millions of dollars in successful settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we would be happy to provide that same caliber of service to you and your uninsured/underinsured motorist claim.
When you are ready to begin your case, contact our team.
Determining Who Could Be Accountable
One of the biggest difficulties of an underinsured/uninsured motorist (UI/UIM) claim is figuring out where you can gain your recoveries. The answer will heavily depend on the circumstances of the accident and the financial situation of the liable driver. If the driver is completely uninsured, you may only have the option to sue them directly in civil court. Do not assume that since they “cannot afford” car insurance that they cannot afford to pay you deserved damages; during a free case evaluation, our car accident lawyers can help determine if and how you can recover damages through a lawsuit.
If the negligent driver is underinsured, you may need to file a lawsuit against their insurance company that provided them with less-than-adequate insurance coverage. Georgia has legal minimums for auto insurance coverage. A driver who is underinsured should not have been permitted on the road, and their insurance provider should be held responsible by paying you full compensation.
Damages you should pursue, no matter who is the target of your lawsuit, include:
- Initial medical expenses
- Hospitalization and rehabilitation fees
- Costs to repair or replace vehicle
- Lost or missing wages
Hit & Run Accidents are Uninsured
If you do not have the opportunity to collect the insurance and identifying information from the driver that hit you – such as in a hit and run accident – your insurance company will act as if the driver was uninsured. In such a scenario, you may only be able to recover damages from your insurance company, if you have purchased uninsured motorist coverage. You should not accept any initial offers from your insurance carrier, as they may attempt to lowball and give you less than you need and deserve; always discuss your options with your car accident attorney first.
After being involved in a hit and run accident, try to remember to take these steps:
- Call the authorities: Fleeing the scene of an accident before exchanging insurance information is a crime. Notify the police as soon as you can, and request emergency medical responders as well if anyone is hurt. Not only will you be helping to remove a dangerous driver from the streets but you can also use police and medical reports as evidence for your case.
- Record what you know: Any information about the driver that hit you is valuable. Try to recall and write down the color of the vehicle, its make and model, and the direction it was heading. Anything that can help the police track down you hit you needs to be provided.
- Call an attorney: Regardless of whether or not law enforcement can find the perpetrator of your hit and run, you should reach a personal injury attorney as soon as you can. With their help, you can better understand your rights and your legal options for financial recovery.
Make Sense of Your Case & Take Action
Our Savannah car accident lawyers have years of experience helping people in situations just like yours. With us by your side, we can evaluate your claim, determine where liability should lie, and allow you to advance your case with confidence. All initial consultations are free, so pick up the phone and dial912.335.4977 today.